Supporting serving Suffolk families
We help carers of all ages within serving families across Suffolk, to get the support they need to live fuller lives.
We work with all of the Armed Forces services – services Army, Navy, Royal Air Force, and Reservists.
Suffolk Family Carers received two years funding from the Armed Forces Covenant to support family carers in serving Suffolk families.
The project was officially launched on 14th February 2019 at Wattisham Flying Station, with the launch including our signing of the Armed Forces Covenant to pledge our support.
The Armed Forces Covenant
The covenant supports serving personnel, service leavers, veterans and their families. Those who have committed to the covenant include Central Government, Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, Cadet Forces, and Businesses of all sizes, local Government, charities and communities.
The project supports serving Suffolk families where a family carer or carers are identified, and includes the following armed forces services:
- British Army
- Royal Air Force (RAF)
- Royal Navy/Submariners
Our serving Suffolk families can include:
- Single unaccompanied soldiers who may be supporting a family member elsewhere in the country
- Couples with children
- Unaccompanied soldiers who are based in Suffolk with their family unit living elsewhere.
- Families living in Suffolk, with the serving person living away or on deployment.
Currently we are working with Wattisham Flying Station, RAF Honington and Rock Barracks. As well as our direct work with family carers living on the bases, we also support ‘dispersed’ families who are living in the wider community. We are able to offer a variety of support which is tailored to the individual needs of the family carer.
We meet family carers at the Hive Community Centres, in their own homes, or at a suitable venue of their choice. The service is confidential.
Project Timeline/ our work:
- We officially launched the project at Wattisham Flying Station on 14th February 2019, with the launch event including the signing of Suffolk Family Carers Pledge to the Armed Forces Covenant
- Attended Wattisham Families Day (August 2019)
- Supporting families to attend peer support groups and respite activities.
- Delivered Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) and Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) to family carers, serving personnel and welfare staff.