Suffolk Family Carers is working with Suffolk County Council and Suffolk’s NHS CCGs to ensure the vaccine is made available as quickly as possible to recognised carers across the county.
If you are recognised by your GP as a carer you will shortly be contacted to receive your vaccination.
If you are in receipt of carers allowance you can book a vaccination appointment online. You do not need to wait to be contacted by the NHS
Eligible Carers who are registered with either Suffolk County Council or Suffolk Family Carers will have/will shortly be receiving personal invitations to register for a vaccination.
If you live in the Norfolk and Waveney CCG regions please see our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The current definition of Family Carers that are eligible for the vaccine is as follows. This guidance has been developed nationally and is the same in all counties.
- Those who are eligible for carer’s allowance, or those who are the sole or primary carer of an elderly or disabled person who is at increased risk of COVID-19 mortality and therefore clinically vulnerable.
- Those clinically vulnerable to COVID include children with severe neuro-disabilities, those who are designated Clinically Extremely vulnerable (CEV), adults who have underlying health conditions (as defined in table 3 ), and those who need care because of advanced age. This group is being vaccinate in in priority group 6.
This definition may change as the vaccination programme progresses so please check back regularly in you are not currently included.
If you are unable to make your own appointment you will shortly be called for a vaccination by the national scheme.
If you are unsure if your GP has recognised you as a Family Carer we recommend you register with Suffolk Family Carers. We are co-ordinating the rollout of the vaccine for Family Carers which maybe unknown to either GP’s or Suffolk County Council.
The vaccination process for Family Carers living in the Norfolk & Waveney CCG region is being co-ordinated through Norfolk County Council.
You can make your Individual Carer Vaccination Request directly with the Norfolk team using this link. https://apps.norfolk.gov.uk/carervax
Suffolk Family Carers will be increasing its services to Family Carers in the Waveney area from 1st April. We also recommend you register with us to fully benefit from this improved provision in your area.
If you are between 16 and 18 and an eligible carer you can have a vaccine. Due to your age the process for registering will be different with the vaccination likely to take place at your GP surgery. Full details are still being defined so please check back regularly
Your personalised invitation may come from one, or more of the following places.
- If you are known as a Family Carer to your GP or in receipt of carers allowance your invitation will be sent by the national scheme.
- If you are registered as a Family Carer with Suffolk County Council your invitation will be sent by them
- If you are registered with Suffolk Family Carers and have consented to us sharing your information your invitation will come from Suffolk County Council.
- If you are registered with Suffolk Family Carers and have not consented to us sharing your information your invitation will come from Suffolk Family Carers.
- If you live in Waveney details of your how you will receive a booking invitation is outlined above.
You may receive multiple invitations if you are registered as a Family Carer with multiple organisations. Should this be the case please ensure you only book your appointment once.
Family Carer vaccinations are currently being offered at the mass vaccination sites in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Colchester.
A national scheme will be rolled out in the next few weeks which provides provide access to the local vaccination centres. You may wait for this scheme if you would like.
You are expected to receive your second vaccination at the same site as the first so please bare this in mind when booking your appointment.
You should follow the information provided in the invitation carefully. The link provided in the invitation will allow you to book the appointment.
Please select “Suffolk and North East Essex – Unpaid/Informal carer” when entering details of the organisation offering you the vaccine. If you select any other organisation you may not be offered local vaccination sites”. (Organisations are in alphabetical order)
If you would like help following the information provided by the invitation please contact Suffolk Family Carers via our live chat facility or call us on 01473 835477 and we will be happy to help.
You do not need to confirm to the sender that your invitation has been received.
The information required to book your appointment can be found on the last page of the letter you received in the post or via email.
Yes. You are required to receive your first and second injections at the same vaccination site.
Yes. Your invitation to book a vaccination appointment is personalised and you will be required to show ID when attending the vaccination centre.
We recommend that all carers register with Suffolk Family Carers to ensure all Family Carers are recognised.
This could be for one of the following reasons
- The invitation is being sent by Royal Mail. It should arrive in the next few days.
- The person has not identified themselves as caring for somebody with an eligible condition.
- The person you share caring with has not consented for Suffolk Family Carers to contact them via either email or post. We are obliged to respect these wishes even for the vaccine. If you are unsure of the preferences you provided when registering you can update us at any time
Your NHS number is 10 digits long and can be found on any prescription, repeat prescription form or letter from the NHS. If you cannot find one of these documents the NHS have created a dedicated website to help you find it.
Parents of children with severe neuro-disabilities are eligible for the vaccine. If you are registered with Suffolk Parent Carer Network they will contact you shortly. If not, please register with Suffolk Family Carers.
Suffolk Family Carers is working with the local NHS to ensure Family Carers who do not meet the national criteria can be vaccinated as soon as possible. We will be contacting registered Family Carers with more details soon.
Suffolk Family Carers is the primary provider of services for Family Carers in Suffolk. We are able to provide you with Information Advice and Guidance, Emotional Support, Help getting a break from your caring role and much more. Visit our home page for more details
We are also co-ordinating the vaccination programme for Family Carers who may not be known to their GP or Suffolk County Council. By registering with us you will, if eligible be sent details of how to book an appointment.
We recommend you use our online registration form, providing as much information as possible. We will ensure that if eligible you are sent an invitation to book an appointment as soon as possible.
If you are unable to register online please call us on 01473 835477 and one of our friendly staff will be pleased to help you.